Monday, January 25, 2010

Your Questions Answered - How to become a Makeup Artist

Hi Eman,
First off I'd like to say your videos and tutorials are great. I'm 18 and living in Calgary Alberta. All my life I've wanted to become a makeup artist. I'm hoping to go to a school here called Artists Within. I was wondering if you could give me any advice towards becoming a makeup artist? Also, what school did you attend before you became a makeup artist? Any tips or insight would help me greatly...

Thank you for your email. I'm glad you are enjoying my video tutorials!I got into makeup kind of on a whim. I was really into fashion and it then turned to makeup. I started to learn and practice a lot on my own. And then I decided to go to school. I did a one year program and got my makeup artistry certificate.
I did a lot of volunteer (free) work at first to get experience then I started getting paid work. Building your portfolio is the most important thing. Its what represents you and your work. The better your portfolio, the more work you will get.

Here's some advice and tips:
Do makeup as much as you can,be creative - don't be afraid to try new things, read and research about makeup, styles, brands, techniques - never stop learning.
Network, network, network! Meet as many people as you can in the industry. That's how you'll get jobs and build a clientele. Remember that being a makeup artist is a business.

Well I hope this was helpful :) Good luck with everything!

xo Eman Aziz

No comments:

Post a Comment